Menai Chiropractor Dr Cameron Hopkins explain what sciatica is…the sciatic nerve can cause sciatica pain at any point in its distribution, either in the lower back, buttocks, hamstrings, knees, legs, calves, feet and/or toes. Sciatica pain usually starts in the buttocks and extends down the rear of the thigh and lower leg to the sole of the foot and along the outer side of the lower leg to the top of the foot. Back pain is found with sciatic leg pain about 50% of the time.
Sciatica Symptoms Often Include…..
The symptoms of sciatic leg pain (sciatica) are not always the same in all individuals. The amount and location of pressure on the nerve as it exits the lower back determines the intensity, frequency and locations of the pain. It can cause problems in one leg or both at the same time. The pain can also switch back and forth from one side to the other.
• Sciatica may hurt or throb “LIKE A TOOTHACHE” in any part of your buttocks, leg or foot.
• Sciatica may send jolts of pain into your leg that feels much like “touching a live electric wire.”
• Sciatica may cause deep numbness or a feeling of “pins and needles” in your leg, foot or toes.
• Sciatica may hurt more or less when seated, standing, walking, bending or lying down.
• Sciatica may come on quickly as a result of bending or lifting, or slowly develop over time.
• Sciatica may be increased when you cough, sneeze, bend of lift.
• Sciatica may cause weakness in the legs and lead to an increased chance of falls.
• Sciatica Pain ranges anywhere from an annoyance to the most miserable pain imaginable.
• Common are the words “I’d like to cut my leg off!”
Sciatica symptoms may be constant or of a “come and go” nature. Some people experience just one or two of the above symptoms. Other people experience the majority of them all at once.
Common Things To Avoid
Sciatica often worsens with extended rest or long periods of sitting. Long-term heat can cause sciatica to worsen. Avoid moving machinery and optional lifting to reduce chances of a greater injury. Back braces weaken muscles over time and should be avoided, as they set the stage for an even more serious injury. Try to avoid too many temporary pain relievers at the risk of allowing time for the cause to grow worse. Due to a 50/50 chance of surgical failure, all non-surgical options should be exhausted, with surgery being viewed only as a last resort.
How Do I Get Started?
If sciatic leg pain is causing you discomfort and concern, something is obviously wrong. A complimentary consult with Menai Chiropractor Dr Hopkins will allow us to discuss your concerns and help to come up with the best approach for you. Hopefully you can be the next person to benefit from our many years of experience and concern for others.
Click Here to get access to how I may be able to help you Today!!
Share on Facebook